2014 Sustainability Excellence Award Winner, Unika Lifestyle Company
Unika is a modern blend boutique carrying new and almost new clothing, accessories, and jewelry. Unika was the recipient of the 2014 Sustainability Excellence Award because they have taken impressive measures in all areas of environmental stewardship, for example:
- Many of the items sold are either reused, such as consignment clothing, or made of recycled products to help keep materials out of the landfill.
- Their business promotes local and global "Products with a Purpose", which support humanitarian efforts, including TOMS, Half United, and Baskets of Africa.
- Their new retail space in Garrison Village is smaller and more energy efficient than the former location, and they have installed LED lighting to reduce electrical consumption. A programmable thermostat and timers for lighting help to ensure energy demands are kept to a minimum.
- They relied on mostly reused or reclaimed materials to furnish their store and used eco-friendly paint and flooring to avoid emissions of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC's).
- They have implemented a "Save-A-Bag" program, where customers are given a token if they do not use a bag, and each token represents a 5 cent donation to one of three charities that the customer can choose from. This initiative has reduced Unika's bag usage by 70%.
Congratulations to Unika Lifestyle Company, and thank you for your commitment to sustainable business practices!