Help Stop Illegal Dumping

The City of Chilliwack is working with the BC Conservation Officer Service (COS), FVRD, and stewardship groups to develop and implement an Illegal Dumping Strategy for Chilliwack.  These groups have come together to form the Fraser Valley Illegal Dumping Alliance (FVIDA) - visit for more information and opportunities to get involved!

The process is being facilitated by Fraser Riverkeeper, a stewardship group that has been hosting local clean up events on the Fraser River since 2008 and wanted to take a more proactive approach to dealing with illegal dumping.  

More information will be shared as the plan progresses, but there are already opportunities for the public to contribute to this effort:

1. Document and report illegal dumping that you witness. 

A) If illegal dumping is observed on City property, the details should be reported to the City of Chilliwack's Bylaw Enforcement Office at 604.793.2908. The more details provided and the sooner they are conveyed, the more likely action can be taken.

B) If illegal dumping is observed on Crown land, the following information applies:

Did you know that the BC Conservation Officer Service can fine illegal dumpers based on reports and documentation submitted by witnesses? 

Most illegal dumping occurs on Crown Land (river banks, gravel bars, forest service roads, etc.).  These activities need to be reported to the BC Report All Poachers and Polluters (RAPP) Line: 1-877-952-7277 or

Make sure you report illegal dumping immediately  and thoroughly so the COS can follow up.  It is important to record key pieces of information (photographs are helpful if they can be taken safely) - visit the RAPP website provided above for details. 

You can even be eligible for a cash reward of up to $2000 through the BC Wildlife Federation if your report leads to a conviction.

2. Let us know if you want to be involved with the Fraser Valley Illegal Dumping Alliance.

Contact Fraser Riverkeeper (phone 604.674.7444 or e-mail or the City of Chilliwack Engineering Department (phone 604.793.2907 or e-mail